HOW TO ADD OR EDIT PRODUCTS IN SHOPIFY?
FIRST LOGIN TO YOUR ADMIN PANEL AND ACCESS THE PRODUCT SECTION
How To FILL THE INFORMATION OF YOUR PRODUCTs?
After clicking on "Add Product" as above, you will land on this page where the product informations are empty and needs to be filled.
This is the name of your product as it will be seen by the visitors on the website
This will be the description of your product. Best is to indicate as much useful informations as possible which will facilitate the buying process of the customers.
To upload an image, simply drag and drop it into the "drop files to upload" section. You can upload many different pictures that will represent your product. You can also drop more than 1 image at a time to go faster.
- Price - This is the price of your product as paid by the customer. For a B2C business, best is to include the taxes in the product price so it's clearer for the customers.
- Compare at price (optional) - If you add a price here, it will shown as a discounted price on the website. As an example, if your price is $150 and your compare at price is $300, it will be shown as $300 (strikethrough) - $150. The customers will then only pay $150.
- Charge taxes on this product - We would recommend to always include the taxes within the price of your products so there are no added taxes at the checkout for the customers. If you are running a wholesale business on Shopify (B2B) you might want to exclude the taxes from the initial price (you should then thick this box) and taxes will be added on top at the checkout. Taxes are calculated based on how you have configured them in the admin. To configure taxes go to admin/settings/Taxes.
- SKU (Stock Keeping Unit) - This value should be unique for each products or variants. To make it easy, best is to also rename your images with the SKU of the corresponding product so it makes it easy to upload them and avoid mistakes.
- Barcode (ISBN, UPC, GTIN, etc.) - If you also run a brick and Mortar store and are using Shopify POS (Point Of Sale) to track your inventory, this barcode will allow the product to be automatically subtracted from the Shopify Stock when bought in the physical shop.
- Inventory Policy - Select "Shopify tracks this product's inventory" if you wish to have your stock decreased when someone buys a product.
- Quantity - This is the initial quantity of products you have available when launching your store.
- Allow customers to purchase this product when it's out of stock - Thick this box to allow customers to still purchase a product even when you're out of stock. We would advice to use this feature if you can quickly restock your product from your supplier.
- This product requires shipping - If you are shipping your products to your customers, please thick this box. I your customers needs to come and pick the items to your business address please leave blank.
- Weight - The weight is not mandatory to indicate. Although it will be important to have if you define your shipping rates based on the weight of the items to be shipped. Note that you can also define the shipping rates based on the prices instead of the weight.
- Fulfilment Service - Will usually be manual as you will only mark the item as fulfilled when you have dispatched it.
See below how to create variant(s) for your products
Search engine listing preview:
This section does not especially need to be touched. If you leave it as it is, the title and description of the product will be identical in the search engine listing as it is on your website. If you do wish to improve it for SEO, please reach out to us so we can advise on the best way to run the Search Engine Optimisation for your website.
- Online Store - Thick the box to make this product visible on your store. You can hide product temporarily by simply not checking this box.
- Set publish date - If you are currently uploading some products on a live store but you want those products to only be visible in a future date.
- Product Type - The product type will be used in some theme when the different product types would be shown on a side bar. (it could be : t-shirt; pants; bowtie; etc..)
- Vendor - It should be the name of your store name/brand.
- Collections - Assign the collections where you want your product to be in. These collections will be used to showcase specific products on the homepage and also to have the links in your website navigations . Collections could be (Socks; Homepage; Men; Women; Sales)
- Tags - Tags are used to filter products. This also helps defining which products to show when the customers use the search function on the website. Good tags are usually the general variants of the product (size, colour, material) but also any other more specific informations. If you wish to develop custom filters, those tags will be used to define the products to be shown for the specific filters. Note that specific filters is a custom functions requiring custom code from our side.
You will then add a first option (ex: size)
- type each sizes and separate them with a comma. As soon as you add a "," the variant will be validated and appear as below.
You can then add a second option (ex: colour)
And up to a third option (ex: material)
You see that after adding this third option Shopify does not offer you to add "another option". Adding more option at this stage would require the installation of a third party app as well as some custom coding.
Once you have added 1, 2 or 3 options, you will see below the "Modify the variants to be created". This allow you to add specific Prices, SKU, Barcodes and Stocks for each variant. If you don't add any information there, the prices, barcodes and stocks will be kept as identical as the initial product. The SKU will be added a -1,-2,-3,-4,.. at the end to keep them unique for each variants.
When you are done adding the variants specific informations, simply hit the save button
If you have specific images for each variant combinations:
You will then be able to drag and drop a specific image for each of your variants as well as editing their informations.
Don't forget to save when done.
CREATE A COLLECTION IN SHOPIFY
From the homepage of your Shopify admin, go back to the Product Tab and select "Collections". You will then click on "Create collection".
You will then have to fill out the below informations
- The Title: Will be displayed on the website for the customers.
- The Description: Not mandatory, is often shown on the website.
- Visibility: leave blank if you don't want the collection to be visible on the website.
- Conditions: The most common when starting an ecommerce is to select "Manually Select Products". You will then assign one or multiple collections to your products when creating them. Simply select "Manually Select Products".
- Collection Image: If you have a specific image for the collection you can upload it there. The Collection image will be seen if you feature collections on the homepage or if you choose to display the image on the collection page.
When you have filled the informations, simply "Save collection" on the top right corner.
Once saved you will see that you can now select the products that you want to assign to this collection.
Either from the collection page:
Or directly from the product page: